A boudoir session is an empowering experience that gives women the opportunity to grow both mentally and physically with their own bodies. It breaks down self conscious barriers and leaves you feeling confident and liberated. An experienced boudoir photographer will guide you through poses, assist in wardrobe choices, and highlight your best assets through their lens.
Most people think about bridal shoots when they hear the words ‘’boudoir photography’’. This type of photo session usually involves the bride-to-be posing in bridal lingerie and bridal accessories such as a wedding dress, garment, and veil. Bridal boudoir photos are typically given by the bride as a gift to the groom on their wedding day.
While many women choose to take boudoir photos for their husbands – there are many other reasons to book a boudoir shoot. Many of them don’t have a special occasion they want to mark with their boudoir photos – they simply want an opportunity to feel empowered, sexy, and confident for no one else but themselves.
Here are some simple but helpful tips that will help you prepare for a boudoir shoot:
- Pamper Yourself. Get a mani/pedi, wax, or perhaps a relaxing massage a couple days leading up to the shoot.
- Stay hydrated: Make sure to drink lots of water leading up to your shoot date. This gives the skin that nice natural glow and can actually shed an extra pound or two.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes on your way to the shoot. Arrive at the shoot wearing loose fitting clothes to avoid any unwanted skin lines.
- Indulge in self-care activities. Make sure to get a good night’s sleep and have a healthy, nutritious breakfast the morning of the shoot. Drink plenty of water and avoid any new skincare routines.
- Freely communicate with your photographer. Don’t hesitate to talk openly with us about your doubts or worries behind the camera. We will take the time to discuss your concerns, as well as go over different boudoir photo shoot ideas, to make sure the end result is exactly what you hoped for and more.
The possibilities are endless when choosing your boudoir photo shoot outfits. And if you can’t decide what to wear, feel free to ask for suggestions! Here are some tips that will help guide you in selecting the best outfits for your boudoir shoot:
- A classic mens button down shirt. A men’s button down shirt is a very classic look. It can be used to shoot on the body and off the body as a prop. Plus your man will love it!
- Of course lingerie. Buy that lingerie set you’ve wanted for a while! There are so many unique online lingerie sites, the possibilities are endless. Two piece sets and bodysuits are my usual go-to’s. There are certain types of lingerie that aren’t necessarily flattering for a boudoir shoot, such as baby dolls and corsets. Be sure to do your research or ask your photographer for wardrobe assistance.
- Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize. Depending on your taste, you can choose to compliment your look with heels, jewelry, hats, garter, veil… You wouldn’t believe the impact that accessories can have on a photo shoot.
- Sometimes, wearing nothing is the best choice. Many women choose to have a few photos taken under the sheets, implying nudity. These photos always imply a very classy and bare look. Sometimes less is more when it comes to boudoir photography.
Obsessing about poses you want to try may ruin the entire boudoir experience. You may have a picture in your head, but the end result doesn’t turn out like you had hoped.
Suggest your ideas but don’t let it consume you! Leave it up to the professionals to decide the best poses and help guide you through each of them. Your only worry is to relax, laugh, and have a good time!
Here are a couple pointers to get you on the right track:
- Always keep your back nice and arched
- Think like a ballerina – point those toes and have soft hands
- Relax your face, part your lips, and breathe in through your chest!
Client privacy is very important to me. Clients who are willing to share photos online I will have sign a release form for permission.
Hair and make up takes between an hour to an hour and a half depending on the length and body of your hair. The actual shoot time 120 minutes. The total experience is about 4 hours.
You will get to see your beautiful images at your scheduled ordering appointment which we will schedule together after your session.
I recommend booking at least 2-3 months in advance to be sure your products arrive on time. I also think it’s a great idea to plan ahead and save up by using my Boudoir Bank. For more information on how my Boudoir Bank works please contact me directly.
At this time I do not. I only focus on women boudoir.
100% natural light! It’s definitely the most flattering light for boudoir photography.
No I do not. And the reason being is that all women have unique styles and body types. I want you to feel 100% comfortable in what you’re wearing. Showing up on the day of the photo shoot rummaging through lingerie that might not fit or look like you had hoped can put a real damper on the entire boudoir experience.